Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd (ACN 004 411 410) (“we”, “us” or “our”) knows that our use, collection and protection of your personal information is important. We respect your personal information and privacy and are committed to keeping your personal information safe.
Kinds of information we collect and hold
We collect information reasonably necessary for or directly related to one or more of our functions or activities. The types of personal information we collect includes but is not limited to your:
- age and birthdate
- occupation and employment details
- contact details
- address details
- registration and driver’s licence details
- credit card and bank account details
- other financial information
- current and past vehicle information and details
- cookies and website tracking
- location through anti-theft vehicle tracking technology in loan and demonstrator vehicles
- voice and image
- educational qualifications and resume
- personal interests
How we collect your personal information
We take steps to ensure that we collect personal information by lawful means, and obtain your personal information in various ways including but not limited to:
- when you contact us (including our customer support centres)
- when you attend one of our or, our authorised dealers’ premises;
- if you order a product or service from us
- when you provide us with goods or services
- if you apply to be a dealer or through dealer communications
- from third party roadside assistance service providers;
- via our websites
- when you attend a product focus group or review a product
- via social media
- from competitions or promotions you have participated in or our events you have attended
- from publicly available sources
- from third party service providers
- when you apply to work with us
- from other Daimler Group companies
- from the Austroads Ltd’s National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System if we are conducting a recall
- from government bodies, enforcement and regulatory authorities
How we use personal information
We collect personal information to provide you with the best possible products and services that we and our authorised dealerships have to offer, to create a more personalised experience for you, and comply with our legal, regulatory, industry or workplace requirements. More specific purposes include but are not limited to:
- any purpose you have consent to
- buying, selling, repairing and loaning vehicles and parts
- any related purpose related to one or more of our functions or activities
- responding to enquiries/complaints
- providing support
- fulfilling and processing orders and administering accounts
- roadside assistance, vehicle warranty, product issues, service measures and recalls
- marketing, event and promotional activities
- market research
- recruitment purposes
- registration of security interests on the personal property securities register
- checking your details against sanctions lists
- to comply with industry, legal and regulatory requirements
During our day to day business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties outside our organisation, including but not limited to:
- those that you have consented we disclose your personal information to
- our authorised dealer network
- contracted service providers
- related and other Daimler Group companies
- as required by an enforcement authority, regulator, law, court or tribunal
Cross border disclosure
During our daily business activities and those of our related and associated entities and service providers, your personal information may be transferred, accessed, processed and/or stored in various countries within Asia, Africa, Europe, North America and other parts of Australasia, but usually in Germany, Singapore, India, United Kingdom and Japan.
Where work or services are undertaken on our behalf, this occurs under conditions of confidentiality and may result in your personal information being transferred, accessed, processed and/or stored (for example, on clouds and servers) in various countries for the purpose of service delivery to us or you.
Unless an exception applies in the Privacy Act, prior to disclosing personal information to overseas recipients we will take reasonable steps in the circumstances to ensure that the overseas recipient adheres to the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”).
Access to information we hold about you
At any time you can request access to information we hold about you. We aim to respond to your request within 30 days. We may charge a reasonable fee for information requests.
If an exception in the Privacy Act applies to your access request, we will work with you and attempt to provide you with access in a way to meet both of our needs.
Correction of information we hold about you
We also encourage you to actively engage with us and let us know when your details change or if your personal information needs correction or updating via our contact information provided below.
Complaints and enquiries
If you are not happy with the way we have handled your personal information or believe that we have breached the Privacy Act or APPs then please contact us and we will try our best to resolve the matter with you. For security reasons, we request that complaints, requests for access to or correction of personal information or any enquiries or questions concerning privacy matters be put in writing and either e-mailed or posted to:
The Privacy Officer
Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd
44 Lexia Place
By phone: 1300 300 896
By email: email@example.com
We may also require documentary proof of your identity depending on your request.
For information about privacy generally, or if your concerns are not resolved to your satisfaction, please contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au or on 1300 363 992.
Last updated April 2016